Modern Day Driving

  As the days pass, and our dependence on technology increases, I can't help but notice the lack of focus and attention humankind have for the rest of the world. Whether it be driving, dinner with the family, or strolling down the street, I see more eyes lit up by their cell screen than from the sun.  Especially when driving I know my attention on the road is one of few as I see many people disregarding basic driving regulations to answer a text they deem an emergency when it could have easily been answered when they arrived at a red light or their final destination. With the growth of dependency, as I know not one single person who can go without their phone for more than a day (an hour at worst), I can only feel that we are slowly becoming soulless husks for this newfound tech that has literally taken over the world. Myself included.

Now I know this is not applicable to every single human on the face of the planet, but rarely have I had a different experience. So far in my life, I have experienced three wrecks personally. The first was in 2012 when a complete ass decided I was taking too long pulling out of the McDonald's exit-way. He whipped around me, causing me to react too close to the curb and flipping my car. If my window had not been up, my head would have gone through the barbed wire fence that was underneath my window. The second was minor compared to the first as I was on my way to final in 2014 and due to tires that needed to be replaced, I hydroplaned into a cement water drain ditch on the side of the interstate. I was only going 30 MPH, but as the roads were soaked with a fresh rain and oil coating my tires couldn't keep traction. The third was my own fault. I had rear ended a woman's 3-month-old Hyundai because I believed I had my foot completely on the brake as I looked down to change the song that was playing from my phone. I was very wrong. Luckily no one was hurt, and the damage was minimal.

That was the moment I had a revelation on how engrossed I had become that I had lost focus on the road, where I am putting my own life, as well as those around me, at risk whenever I pay more attention the content of my phone more than I do the road. That was unfathomable to me, and I chose to never do so again simply because it is not worth it. I am thankful there weren't any children aboard, but it doesn't make it any better. I could've hurt her, which goes against my very being, and that was not something I could tolerate.

As I drive now, I have a new found focus on the road simply because the way my accident happened, is the way most people nowadays drive. I see more drivers staring into their phone, or engrossed in replying to that text as soon as it is received. Did you know that in 2015,  2.5 million people in the U.S. are involved in road accidents each year.? 1.6 million have a cell phone involved in them according to Keirnan Hopkins, author of Distracted Driver Accidents. Is it really that important to put so many lives in jeopardy for something so minuscule that can be remedied when you are actually stopped? This is what looped through my mind as I awaited the dreaded increase of my insurance because the accident was my fault. 

Just remember, text messages don't disappear if you don't immediately reply. That is what Snapchat is for, but you shouldn't even be attempting that while in motion! You don't want your life to end because of something so small as a text that had to have an immediate response

Comments